Check'em out!... Revisalas :)

We put new pictures in the Salvador, Brazil doozie! Check'em out, they're great!

Pusimos fotos nuevas en la entrada para Salvador, Brazil! Revisalas, son geniales!
If you want to translate this blog from english to whatever language go to http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl=es#
and you can easily translate this page. I mean, it´s not perfect, but it´s pretty good!

Si deseas traducir nuestro blog de inglés a cualquier lenguaje, vaya no mas a http://translate.google.com/translate_t?hl=es# y puedes facilmente traducir la pagina de web. No es perfecto pero es muy bueno!

26.10.08

Getting Started

Well hello all! I hope everyone is well! We are well, still relaxing in Quito (well, not really relaxing). Resolving the million things that we need to do to finally get outta here! :) We had our 3rd going away party, hahaha.


Luckily, staying a few more days (or weeks... or... I mean, what was the original plan exactly?) has let us enjoy the famous guaguas de pan (pronounced wa-wa de pan) and colada morada. These things are (respectively) bread in the shape of dolls filled with jelly and a thick, hot, raspberry/strawberry drink. Together, to make my mom proud, I´d say it is "Soooo delicious." But no really, the combo is so delicious! (see foto of me with Guagua) We eat these to celebrate The Day of the Dead. Does it seem ironic to you too?


What more... Today Jose and I went to a soccer game, which if you all remember a few years ago, "Soccer Games" was the first thing I emailed home about. I hadn´t been since (can´t seem to remember why... haha). But reliving it was good :) It was the same as I remember (but less life threatening this time around). I think I had the smallest Liga fan at my side, with all of her two months. Maybe her first game (maybe not... haha). There were a few fights and everyone yelling cheers at the top of their lungs. It´s interesting, there have been very few times in my life that i´ve seen young, old, fat, thin... yelling "We´re the champions M*!¿ F;=!" I mean, yelling. Everyone. It was exciting, as always. (I mean, you have to imagine, like, Memere yelling that at the top of her lungs.) Anyways, no tear gas or running from the police this time. I´d call it a success :)

As one (of my many) finale to my Ecuador fun, Jose and I went to eat Chugchucaras last night. What exactly is this strange sounding thing? It is a plate of every delicious food in Ecuador. All in one convenient spot! I wish I had discovered this before, I wouldn´t have had to go from one restaurant to another in one night trying to eat all the delicious things! With Fritada (fried pork), empanadas (like a calzone... kinda), popcorn (it wouldn´t be complete without), potatoes and mote (like exploded corn) with chicharron (little pieces of fried pork), it was a great discovery. My students used to make fun of me, saying that when I said the word "Chugchucara" I sounded funny. I always wanted to tell them, "Well, when you speak english, you sound funny!" Another "Must-Eat" checked off the list :)

Over the next few days, we´re really trying to wrap things up. We plan to be out of here by Wednesday. We´re off to Tena, which is the white water rafting capital of Ecuador. We´ll see what happens!

4 comments:

  1. Good Luck to you and dont get your computer wet at the white water falls---cause we wish to hear you made it down the first leg to the Amazon...!

    luv ya

    UD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Les deseo que les vaya super bien, les quiero muchisimo a ti Laurita y Lori, espero siempre recibir noticias suyas de este interesante viaje, la mejor suerte del mundo y que regresen pronto. Disfruten su viaje.

    Les quiero mucho son unas muy lindas amigas...

    Mariela...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK--dont expect two posts from me every update, but I just want to know that I can touch base with ya from the Govt computer and/or a personal laptop. hehehe...oh shit could I get in trouble. Anyhoo, ur one scary gurl there Lau. FYI Hippie went out with the 60's MAN... but I dont think you knew that and quite frankly, what ur doing--I dont think theres a term for it. BUT!! I will say you do get to do some awesome stuff. Look, play it safe, and live ur life to the fullest. Be happy. Keep the posting going and touch a volcano or two for me... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ola Laura!

    Your Mom forwarded your blog to me. Big huge mistake! :) Lol! Now I can tell all those embarrassing stories of you as a kid growing up when I was living in the house during college!

    I can not believe but also not surprised to see the independent young woman you have become. Having great parents and role models (not me!) obviously paid off. “Laurita”, the South American Traveling Hippie, what a career, I am so jealous.

    I am sure everyone who knows and loves you shares the same “please be careful” concerns so I will add my 2 cents in. Be careful have fun but ask for help before any situation becomes unmanageable!

    I am excited to keep up with your travels, escapades, food and culture updates and your good works. I will check in as often as can. Stay away form crazy soccer matches and take more pictures.

    Your big brother :) Matt

    ReplyDelete